Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Streets of Dotonbori

Heya Kids,

The continuation of my Osaka trip continues. Osaka is known as the place to go if you want to eat lots of food. The post on all the food I ate, will be separate but let me tell you about our favourite location in Osaka ... the street known as "Dotonbori".


The neon lit sign to let you know where you were in case you got
lost amongst the abundance of restaurants in Dotonbori.

Dotonbori is a street located in the Namba district of Osaka (north area). Its streets are basically lined with restaurant after restaurant, with the odd souvenir shop wedged in between the restaurants. It is really a food lovers paradise. There is a Japanese word, "Kuidaore", which has an a significant attachment with Dotonbori. Roughly translated, it means "to ruin oneself by extravagance of food" ... sounds fun. I spent a week in Osaka and still wanted to try different things there as well as re-trying some of the better things we had. The street is a popular tourist destination which makes it packed all the time. People come to see all the lights and big advertising on top of some of the restaurants.


This is the main hub of Dotonbori. This way leads over the
Dotonbori Canal and into the undercover shopping area of Shinsaibashi.


A view over the Dotonbori Canal. I have been told that many
singles congregate here in hopes of finding their one and only love.
Nice way of saying its a pick-up hangout.


I didn't know it at the time, but this is quite a famous billboard in Osaka and is a must photo point or tourists. I just thought it was for some athletics thing. Turns out that its a advertising board for a Japanese confectionery company called "Glico", based in Osaka. Glico manufactures the traditional Glico caramel candy (??? never had it before) as well as the world famous Asian treat, chocolate on a stick "Pocky" (I was never really into Pocky until I got to Japan).


As I mentioned Dotonbori is famous for its advertising about restaurants.
This place sells "Takoyaki" (japanese octopus dumplings).


"Fugu" or blowfish/pufferfish - only a master chef with a licence can prepare and sell this fish to you, however, a number of people still die each year from eating improperly prepared fugu. You may remember from the Simpson's episode when Homer is at a japanese restaurant and utters "FUGU ME!". I have yet to try, but I want to. Apparently it doesn't taste that great and is very expensive. Glutton for punishment I guess.


I think this place sells Duck!
This is the famous crab restaurant known as Kani Doraku

The back of the crab restaurant. What drink should I have while I'm eating my crab. Somethings telling me that Asahi Super Dry goes really well with crab.
Mmmm, large oversize beer!

This is the famous mechanical drum playing clown, known as Kuidaore Ningyo. It was installed in 1950. It stands outside what it proclaims to be the largest restaurant in the world. The restaurant has eight levels and serves a different Osakan cuisine on each level. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try anything from there.

There's even advertising for JetStar on Dotonbori

This was a photo down "Shinsaibashi". Long strip with shops, more restaurants and many pachinko (Japanese form of gambling, kinda like pokies) and amusement centers.


Finally, a little video while I was walking down Dotonbori. This is if you never get to go.




Next up, New Year's eve in Japan

Later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was great